Become proficient in using the latest 2023 ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding guidelines and new 2023 ICD-10 codes with Bowie’s UNDERSTANDING ICD-10-CM AND ICD-10-PCS: A WORKTEXT, 2023 EDITION. Updated each year, this hands-on worktext presents today's most current diagnostic and procedural coding systems. New content covers codes released in the 2023 revision with examples of new codes for various body systems. This edition also covers new ICD-10-PCS codes with explanations that detail specific directions for coding various procedures. An easy-to-follow approach incorporates professional exercises, expanded actual coding assignments and real case studies. Illustrations and digital links to medical research websites strengthen your knowledge of anatomy and disease processes to increase coding accuracy. MindTap online tools with Medical Coding Trainer and more than 200 digital cases help you further prepare for certification exams and diagnostic and procedural coding success.
1. Introduction to Coding and Coding Professions.
2. An Overview of ICD-10-CM.
3. ICD-10-CM Coding Conventions.
4. Steps in Diagnostic Code Selection.
5. Diagnostic Coding Guidelines.
6. Infectious and Parasitic Diseases.
8. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs.
9. Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases.
10. Mental, Behavioral, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders.
11. Diseases of the Nervous System.
12. Disorders of the Eye and Adnexa.
13. Diseases of the Ear and Mastoid Process.
14. Diseases of the Circulatory System.
15. Diseases of the Respiratory System.
16. Diseases of the Digestive System.
17. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue.
18. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue.
19. Diseases of the Genitourinary System.
20. Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium.
21. Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period.
22. Congenital Malformations, Deformations, and Chromosomal Abnormalities.
23. Symptoms, Signs, and Abnormal Clinical Laboratory Findings.
24. Injury, Poisoning, and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes.
25. External Causes of Morbidity.
26. Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services and Coding of COVID and Vaping.
27. Introduction to ICD-10-PCS.
28. Medical and Surgical Section.
29. Obstetrics Section.
30. Placement Section.
31. Administration Section.
32. Measurement and Monitoring Section.
33. Extracorporeal Assistance and Performance and Extracorporeal Therapies Sections.
34. Osteopathic, Other Procedures, and Chiropractic Sections.
35. Imaging, Nuclear Medicine, and Radiation Oncology Sections.
36. Physical Rehabilitation and Diagnostic Audiology Section.
37. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment.
38. New Technology Section.
Mary Jo Bowie
Mary Jo Bowie, M.S., B.S., A.A.S., R.H.I.A., R.H.I.T., is the owner of Health Information Professional Services in Binghamton, New York, which provides consulting services for all aspects of health information management. Previously, she served as director of the Health Information Management and Medical Coding program at Mount Wachusett Community College in Gardner, Massachusetts. Widely respected in the field, Ms. Bowie has consulted with health facilities for more than 35 years, has conducted national training seminars on coding and health information management topics and regularly speaks at regional and national professional events. In addition to creating content for Cengage, Ms. Bowie develops instructional content for ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT®/HCPCS and health data courses. She also teaches a variety of health information technology courses and is an active member of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). In addition, she is a registered health information administrator, an accredited health information technician and an AHIMA ICD-10-CM/PCS-approved trainer. Her education credentials include associate, bachelor's and master's degrees.
LATEST CONTENT INTRODUCES NEW 2023 ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS GUIDELINES. This year's updates include underimmunization status, documentation of complications of care, hemolytic-uremic syndrome associated with HIV disease or with sepsis, admission/encounter for treatment of primary site, secondary malignant neoplasm of lymphoid tissue, Z79.85, long-term use of injectable non-insulin antidiabetic drugs, dementia, completed weeks of gestation, hemorrhage following elective abortion, underdosing, Code Z71.87, encounter for pediatric-to-adult transition counseling and social determinants of health.
EXPANDED INFORMATION THOROUGHLY REVIEWS NEW ICD-10-PCS CODES. Your students gain the in-depth understanding they need to understand and accurately use the latest ICD-10-PCS codes in today's professional healthcare environment. Students learn to work with the latest developments in medical coding as updates examine the most recent guidelines for ICD codes used.
INCREASED, UPDATED COVERAGE EXPLORES 2023 ICD-10 OFFICIAL CODING GUIDELINES IN DETAIL. Revised and additional content guides readers through the Official Coding Guidelines released by The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) that impact 2023 codes in use from October 2023 through September 2024.
UPDATED MINDTAP DIGITAL RESOURCES INCLUDE MORE INFORMATION TO SUPPORT PRACTICE. Revisions throughout this edition's digital resources not only reflect the latest coding changes, but also provide additional rationales behind chapter review questions. This edition's MindTap offers Medical Coding Trainer and more than 200 digital cases to help students prepare for certification exams. Instant feedback further strengthens student understanding of coding guidelines and their use in professional healthcare environments.
THOROUGH REVIEW OF ANATOMY AND DISEASE PROCESSES REINFORCES KNOWLEDGE CRITICAL FOR CODING. This edition's complete review of anatomy and disease emphasizes the knowledge that readers need to increase coding accuracy. Memorable full-color illustrations and digital links to medical research websites reinforce learning and help students master critical anatomy and disease processes.
ENGAGING LEARNING FEATURES AND USEFUL ONLINE LINKS HELP READERS MASTER KEY CONCEPTS. Each chapter provides a chapter outline, chapter objectives, key terms, learning exercises and chapter reviews to aid in study and mastery of content. In addition, current and related Internet links help students become proficient in today's key areas of medical coding.
ICD-10 OFFICIAL CODING GUIDELINES ARE EMPHASIZED THROUGHOUT EACH CHAPTER. This edition covers today's latest 2023 ICD-10 official coding guidelines with the level of precision and detail that learners need to ensure they understand the most important concepts and are able to code with accuracy.
ROBUST INSTRUCTOR’S MANUAL AND RESOURCES PROVIDE TIME-SAVING, TRUSTED TOOLS. Working in harmony with MindTap online course management tools and Medical Coding Trainer, this edition’s Instructor’s Manual and Instructor's Resource website provide convenient answers to learning exercises, chapter reviews and case studies. You can also find engaging PowerPoint® presentations for each chapter and Cengage Testing for checking comprehension.
TIMELY ANNUAL UPDATES SUPPORT COMPREHENSIVE CONTENT TO COVER ALL ASPECTS OF 2023 ICD-10-CM AND ICD-10-PCS CODING GUIDELINES. You and your students can trust this complete resource to address all aspects of the latest ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding. Content is both accurate and well organized by body systems.
Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® for Bowie's Understanding ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS: A Worktext - 2023 Edition
Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® for Bowie's Understanding ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS: A Worktext - 2023 Edition, Instant Access
Instructor's Companion Website for Bowie's Understanding ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS: A Worktext